State Library of NSW
View of old Government House, Sydney, NSW as it appeared when vacated by Sir George Gipps in 18451845
This view shows the first Government House, on the corner of Bridge and Phillip Street (now the site of the Museum of Sydney), in 1845, just prior to its demolition. In the distance can be seen the square tower of the Scots Church, the round tower of St Philip’s and the Gothic-designed St Patrick’s Catholic Church — lining what is now Grosvenor Street.
The second Government House was completed in 1845 and Governor Gipps relocated his family and the business of the colony to the new building.
In 1842 Gipps purchased three camels which had been brought to Australia. It was hoped that camels might prove useful in exploring the interior. For many years the camels grazed in the Domain.