State Library of NSW
View in Sydney Harbourc 1880
This view of Sydney Harbour was painted by little-known artist, Margaret Coulter. In the centre is a view of Berry Island, which was part of a grant of land made by Governor Macquarie to Alexander Berry and Edward Wollstonecraft in 1820 and is named after Alexander Berry.
The island was first linked to the mainland by a stone causeway over the mudflats. During the 1960s the land between the island and the mainland was reclaimed and made into a grassed area. The first Iron Cove Bridge, seen in the top left-hand corner, commenced construction in 1788.