State Library of NSW
Wynyard Park & the Old Scots Church during Wynyard Station excavations1927
Sydney art student Alfred Macdonald completed a pair of paintings to document the changes to Wynyard Square.
In this view, old Scots Church, the first Presbyterian Church in Sydney can be seen behind the site of the excavation. The stone church with its plain tower seated 1000 people and opened in 1826. The area was known as Church Hill because it was also the location of the first church built in the colony, St Philips (Anglican), a Methodist chapel and St Patrick’s Roman Catholic church.
A new Scots Presbyterian Church was built at the same location, 42-44 Margaret Street in 1929. The six-storey Gothic-style building remains largely intact today.