Help for seniors

NSW Ageing and Disability Commissioner

The NSW Ageing and Disability Commissioner works to better protect older people and adults with disability from abuse, neglect and exploitation.Two women talking

The focus for the Commissioner is to:

  • Provide support 
  • Raise community awareness to reduce and prevent abuse, neglect and exploitation toward older people and adults with disability
  • Investigate concerns and allegations of abuse, neglect and exploitation
  • Report and advise government on related systemic issues.

The Commissioner can investigate cases of abuse, neglect and exploitation of older people and adults with disability. It does not investigate the conduct of paid service providers for older people or adults with disability. Instead, the focus is on the conduct of the persons family and other informal supports, or members known to them from the community.

You can contact the NSW Ageing and Disability Abuse Helpline 1800 628 221 if you have concerns about an older person or adult with disability, or for information about available services.

Seniors Rights Service

The Seniors Rights Service is a community organisation dedicated to protecting and advancing the rights of older people, particularly vulnerable and disadvantaged groups. It provides free and confidential telephone advice, aged care advocacy and support, legal advice and education forums to seniors across New South Wales.

You can contact them on 1800 424 079. 

The Seniors Rights Service give advice to people aged 65 or over and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 55 or over in NSW. Common issues include:

  • Complaints regarding banks, insurance companies and other financial institutions
  • Abuse of an older person, including financial, physical and emotional abuse by relatives, carers or professionals
  • Age discrimination
  • Access to medical records
  • Powers of Attorney and Enduring Guardianship 
  • Guardianship and financial management orders and applications.

The Seniors Rights Service Retirement Village Legal Service solicitors provide legal advice on retirement village issues to current, former and prospective residents of retirement villages in NSW.