Relationship breakdown?

How do I get a divorce? What happens to the kids?  How do we divide our property? How do I get my ex to pay child support?

You can find the answers to these and many other questions in the Family, Relationships and Children topic on the Find Legal Answers website.

Where do I start?

Start by looking at the Legal Aid NSW pamphlet What happens when your relationships ends - it's available online, or you can order it from Legal Aid. It answers questions about your family, your children, your property, separation and divorce, child support and maintenance.  

The Law handbook has two useful chapters:

  • Family law  - marriage, separation and divorce, property and maintenance, child support, parenting orders, and family violence
  • Children and young people - children and criminal law, care and protection, other legal issues including school, leaving home, sexual relations, medical treatment, alcohol and tobacco, and cyber-safety

The book Women and family law, published by the Womens Legal Service, covers all aspects of family law including marriage, separation, divorce, property, maintenance, de facto relationships and parenting.

Need more?

Check out the Family law handbook. You can find it at your local public library, and and also read chapters 1 and 2 online. The book has chapters on the family law system, marriage, de facto relationships, separation and divorce, family violence, negotiation and agreement, the court process, parenting, and property.

There are two Hot Topics:

  • Families - looks at the different concepts of 'family', as well as property and money after separation, child support payments, adoption and courts that deal with family issues
  • Child care and protection - discusses parental responsibility, children in out-of-home care, initiatives to improve protection for children, and Australia’s obligations under the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child

Visiting the State Library to do some research?

The State Library has a large collection of text books, looseleaf services, legal encyclopaedias, databases, journals, legislation and court reports.

Looseleaf services are an excellent source of information as they contain commentary about cases and legislation and are updated frequently.  Some looseleaf services to start with are:

  • CCH Australian family law & practice - Family Law Act, the Family Court, cases, divorce, children, and maintenance
  • LexisNexis Australian family law - Family Law Act, court procedure, cases, divorce, maintenance, child support, parenting, property, superannuation, appeals, and costs

Find more information by checking the Library's catalogue.

Looking for legislation?

Find the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) on AustLII and the Federal Register of Legislation.

Find the Children and Young Persons (Care and Protection) Act 1998 (NSW) on NSW Legislation.

Find more legislation by searching AustLII, the Federal Register of Legislation or NSW Legislation.

Find more information

There's a wealth of information in the Families, Relationships and Children topic- scroll down the list to find links to information about family law, AVOs, child support, domestic violence, and young people.