We're open Wednesday 26 January 2022, with changes to some services and opening hours ›


How do I get urgent repairs done? I want to leave - how much notice do I need to give? How do I get my bond back? Can my landlord increase my rent that much?

You can find the answers to these and many other questions in the Neighbours, housing and the environment topic on the Find Legal Answers website.

Where do I start?

Tenants NSW has a range of fact sheets about renting - covering topics including starting a tenancy, the bond, tenant databases, rent increases, eviction, ending the tenancy, going to NCAT, repairs, goods left behind, mould, sale of rented premises, and domestic violence.

Need more?

The Housing chapter of the Law handbook is a good introduction to tenancy, covering the Residential Tenancies Act, what to do before an agreement is signed, residential tenancy agreements, ending a tenancy, NCAT, shared housing, boarding houses, residential land lease communities, and social housing.

The Tenants’ Rights Manual is produced by the Tenants’ Union of NSW especially for tenants and people who work with tenants on issues to do with renting. It has chapters on residential tenancies law, starting a tenancy, during a tenancy, ending a tenancy, NCAT, social housing, share housing, boarding housing, marginal rental, and other types of tenants. It also includes sample letters and a sample summary of a tribunal case.

You can find both of these books online or in your local public library.

Want to talk to someone?

You can get advice from your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service.

Looking for legislation?

Find the Residential Tenancies Act 2010 (NSW) on NSW Legislation.

Find more information

There's a wealth of information in the Neighbours, housing and the environment topic - click on Renting and scroll down the list to find more information.