NSW Fair Trading has a number of videos dealing with consumer issues.
Buying a used car
Buying a used car is a series of videos designed to help consumers from target language groups and culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds understand what to look for when buying a second hand car.
This helps avoid buying a ‘lemon’ or buying a car with defects which may affect the safety of the car.
Seven topics are covered in the videos:
- What to look for
- Important things to know
- Inspect exterior and interior
- Check service history
- Check safety features
- Check engine
- Test drive
The videos are available in Arabic, Farsi, Korean, Mandarin, Tamil and Vietnamese.
My consumer rights
My consumer rights is a series of animatic videos about your rights and responsibilities when buying goods and services in Australia. Designed especially for new migrants, the videos use simple messages, together with universal symbols and gestures, to explain the basic concepts of Australian Consumer Law.
Six consumer topics are covered in the videos:
- Your shopping rights
- Shopping refunds
- Guarantees and warranties
- Lay-by agreements
- Resolving issues and lodging complaints.
The videos are available in Arabic, Assyrian, Dari, Dinka, English, Farsi/Persian, Karen, Mandarin, Nepalese, Tamil and Vietnamese.
Other videos include:
- Help with tenancy problems - available in Arabic, Chinese, English and Vietnamese
- Supporting local communities
- Renting a home: a tenant's guide to rights and responsibilities - available in 17 languages
- Know your rights
- Window and balcony safety
Find the videos on NSW Fair Trading's video and audio page.