Due to essential network maintenance, access to some online services including the viewing of digital images will be temporarily unavailable between 5 pm and 8 pm AEST on Sunday, 22 September 2019. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
These guidelines have been developed to assist students and teachers visiting the State Library of NSW to comply with the Department of Education risk assessment guidelines for excursions.
The State Library is committed to provide a welcoming and safe environment for research, study and learning.
Students experience is improved and learning enhanced when adequate supervision and adult interaction is provided by the school. All student groups must be accompanied by an adequate number of supervising adults. Our guidelines are:
- Minimum adult to child ratio
- Kindergarten – Year 2 - 1 adult per 5 students
- Year 3 – Year 6 - 1 adult per 10 students
- Secondary students - 1 adult per 20 students
The duty of care resides with the teacher in charge of the excursion.
- It is recommened that all school bags are left on the bus or at school as facilities for the storage of school bags is limited. Bags are not permitted in the reading rooms or in the exhibition galleries. Students should avoid bringing valuables to the Library. The Library accepts no responsibility for lost property.
- Be considerate of all Library visitors. Keep noise to a minimum. Turn off mobile phones or personal audio devices such as electronic games, iPods or mp3 players in public areas.
- Photography is not permitted in the exhibition galleries. Photography in the reading rooms is only allowed with the permission of the Officer in Charge.
- Please walk and do not run in the Library.
- Students are required to use the stairs and not the lifts. Please use the handrails when moving up and down the stairs. Disabled access is available.
- Students are required to stay under the direct supervision of their teacher and supervising adult at all times.
- Eating and drinking are not permitted anywhere in the Library.
- Please bring a pencil as pens are not permitted in the exhibition galleries.
View our Venue and Safety Information to complete your risk assessment