Public holiday: the Library will be open on 3 October. View opening hours
Task no. 1
Camels as transport
Examine the sources below and answer the below questions:
- Use sources 1 to 10 and your own research to create a timeline that shows key events in the use of the camel as a form of transport in Australia.
- Why did camels become a popular form of transport in the Australian outback?
- How did the use of camels lead to the development of the railway from Adelaide to Alice Springs?
- What is the name of the railway from Adelaide to Darwin? Why was it given this name?
- What is a 'Ghantown'? Why was it given this name?
- In your own words, describe the impact of the camel as a form of transport on the development of Australia.
- Where are the camels now? Find out what has happened to them now that they are no longer used for exploration or hauling loads.