We're open Wednesday 26 January 2022, with changes to some services and opening hours ›
Task no. 1
Satire on gold diggers
- In your own words, tell the story of the experiences of the assistant surgeon during the gold rush.
- What is Thomas Harriott's opinion of the gold rush? How do you know?
- Compare von Guerard's experiences (Source 1) with Thomas Harriott's experiences (Source 2)
- What are the similarities and the differences?
- Whose opinion of the gold rush do you consider more reliable? Explain why and support your opinion with evidence.
- An assistant surgeon on a newly arrived ship decides to try his luck on the goldfields.
- He digs for no reward.
- He then finds surface gold. But his horse won’t carry him AND the gold.
- So he walks, until a bushranger relieves him of the horse and the extra weight of gold.
- He limps back to Melbourne much poorer.
- He opens a chemist shop in Melbourne using some gold he managed to hide from the bushranger.