Investigating the Battle of the Wasser
Task no. 1
Reporting the Battle of the Wasser
Using the sources below, as well as the links to the newspaper articles on Trove, complete the following tasks:
- Imagining you are a war correspondent, and you have interviewed the soldiers who provide their accounts of the event in the diaries below, write a 600-word newspaper report on what happened at the Battle of Wasser. Ensure your article covers the details of where and when the Battle took place, who was involved and why it may have broken out, as well as providing an overview of the public reaction back in Australia.
- How do the versions of events differ between the newspaper report from the time to the individual accounts in the sources provided, and why do you think this is?
- How do you think knowledge of these events might impact on the Anzac legend?
Trove newspaper articles
Thursday, January 21, 1915. (1915, January 21). The Argus, p. 6
Captain Bean's Report: Wide-spread disappointment. (1915, January 21). The Argus, p. 7
Statement by Mr. Jensen. (1915, January 22). The Argus, p. 6
Australians in Egypt: A Chaplain's Viewpoint. (1915, April 6). The Argus, p. 7
Australian Soldiers in Egypt: Alleged Misconduct Denied. (1915, April 23). Kyabram Guardian, p. 4
Returned Soldiers: 322 Sent Home. (1915, April 24). The Argus, p. 19
Note about sources
In conducting your research, you will need to click on each collection item below (on the icon with an “SL” in a box at the bottom left corner of the image) and then again on the image in the pop-up to access the full record, and further sources on the State Library’s website.
All of the chosen sources have been transcribed (i.e. typed up so they are easier to read). The link to the transcribed version of the source can be found on its online catalogue record.
The entries specifically addressing the Battle of the Wasser can be found on the following pages for each source (note: these pages are easiest to find in the transcribed versions):
- Sam Norris' diary: pages 62-63
- Gordon Macrae's diary: page 66
- Thomas Crooks' diary: page 5
- Eric Ward's diary: pages 36-41
- Alfred Morris' diary: page 54