The Library is closed onsite, open online. See updates here.
Task no. 1
Questions on the source
Use books and the Internet to research the answers to the questions.
- Who was Henry IV of England?
- When and where was he born?
- Who were his parents?
- What is a 'royal seal' and how was it used?
- Why would Henry IV consider it necessary to show himself as a charging knight on this seal? What message does he wish to convey?
- What does the phrase 'Henry by the Grace of God' tell us about Henry's belief in his right to the kingship?
- How useful is this source for providing information about the power of the king in medieval times?
Task no. 2
- Use books and the Internet to research and write a short biography (300 words) of Henry IV. Explain how he came to be king of England and why he is also described as king of France and Ireland.
- Draw a diagram of the medieval hierarchy* of power. Include the church, God, nobility, peasants, serfs, merchants, knights, and artisans.
*Hierarchy = a social system in which some people are ranked higher than others; also called a 'social pyramid'.