Emerging Authors Story Opportunity 2019
We are delighted to offer this one-off opportunity for emerging children’s authors. The Library continues to expand its engagement with children and young people by developing stories around its collections.
The State Library of NSW invites you to submit a manuscript for a children’s book based upon one of the following:
- A manuscript of a children’s picture book about the State Library of NSW, its buildings or a collection item/items.
- A manuscript of a children’s picture book about Ethel Turner, the author most famously of Seven little Australians.
This opportunity is kindly supported by the State Library Foundation and The Society of Women Writers NSW Inc.
Please read the terms and conditions below before submitting your work to email@example.com. Submissions that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
Terms and conditions
For the purpose of the Emerging Authors Story Opportunity 2019, an 'emerging author' is defined as
- an author who is in the early stage of their career, who may have a small body of published work (no more than 3 stories published in a book, magazine or journal) and who has strong evidence of practise
Opportunity / prize
The opportunity consists of 2 prizes:
- A manuscript of a children’s picture book about the State Library of NSW, its buildings or a collection item/items (which the Library may publish subject to a satisfactory agreement between the State Library and the author).
- A manuscript of a children’s picture book about Ethel Turner (which the Library may publish subject to a satisfactory agreement between the State Library and the author.
The prize consists of a $2,500 payment for each of the successful unpublished manuscripts.
- Applicants must be residents of NSW.
- Submission must be written in English.
- Entries must be a manuscript for a children’s picture book (illustrations are not required at this stage, and will be separately commissioned).
- Work must be submitted online in Microsoft Word; hard copy submissions will not be accepted.
- The work must not be the subject of current discussion or negotiations with a publisher.
- The copyright in the work is retained by the winning author.
- The decision of the panel is final, and no correspondence will be entered into either during or after the selection process.
- State Library of NSW staff and Library Council of NSW members are not eligible to submit entries.
- Entrants will receive a confirmation of successful entry through the following email only - firstname.lastname@example.org
Entries will be judged on originality of idea, literary and artistic merit, success with engaging with the Library and its collections, and potential for inclusion in the Library’s collections as well as publication potential.
Entries open: 9 am 30 September, 2019
Close: 5 pm 31 January, 2020
How to apply
Submit your work to email@example.com by 31 January, 2020