The Library is closed onsite, open online. See updates here.
This interactive hands-on program introduces public library staff to the State Library of NSW
This program introduces participants to the collections and services of the State Library of NSW.
Who is this course for?
This course is for staff working in NSW public libraries. Information about other courses available at the State Library of NSW can be accessed here.
The course will suit all levels of staff including new public library staff and those seeking to refresh their knowledge.
Half day face-to-face workshop.
Learning strategies involve a mix of lecture style, group work, and guided opportunities for participants to explore the State Library website using iPads (supplied).
At the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- understand the role of and brief history of the State Library of NSW
- identify, locate and understand the difference between key State Library catalogues
- conduct simple searches for books and pictures in the State Library’s catalogues
- conduct simple searches for content across the State Library website
- understand how public library clients can access eResources from home and their conditions of use
- browse the Stories section of the website
- refer clients to Research Guides for various subjects (e.g. Health, Family History, HSC subjects)
- understand the role of Public Library Services.
- course notes
- morning tea
- optional library tour at the end of the workshop
- use of iPads
Please advise when booking if you have any dietary or accessibility requests.
The State Library provides the cost of first class return rail travel for participants travelling from libraries more than 100km away - more details can be found on the travel claim form.
This workshop is free for NSW public library staff.
2021 course dates
This training is currently on hold due to COVID-19 public health orders.
If you are participating in the ALIA PD scheme you may claim 3 points for this activity.
Please contact Public Library Services staff if you have any questions about the course.