The Library's reading rooms are open. Before you visit, please read Visiting the Library.
This interactive hands-on program introduces public library staff to the State Library of NSW
This program introduces participants to the collections and services of the State Library of NSW.
Who is this course for?
This course is for staff working in NSW public libraries. Information about other courses available at the State Library of NSW can be accessed here.
The course will suit all levels of staff including new public library staff and those seeking to refresh their knowledge.
Half day face-to-face workshop.
Learning strategies involve a mix of lecture style, group work, and guided opportunities for participants to explore the State Library website using iPads (supplied).
At the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
- understand the role of and brief history of the State Library of NSW
- identify, locate and understand the difference between key State Library catalogues
- conduct simple searches for books and pictures in the State Library’s catalogues
- conduct simple searches for content across the State Library website
- understand how public library clients can access eResources from home and their conditions of use
- browse the Stories section of the website
- refer clients to Research Guides for various subjects (e.g. Health, Family History, HSC subjects)
- understand the role of Public Library Services.
- course notes
- morning tea
- optional library tour at the end of the workshop
- use of iPads
Please advise when booking if you have any dietary or accessibility requests.
The State Library provides the cost of first class return rail travel for participants travelling from libraries more than 100km away - more details can be found on the travel claim form.
This workshop is free for NSW public library staff.
2020 course dates
Collect Connect Community
Three dates have been scheduled for the first part of 2020. More dates will be advertised later in the year.
Click on the date below to book:
This course is from 9:30am to 1pm and includes morning tea.
Collect Connect Community and Beginner's Guide to Family History
There is one scheduled session of Collect Connect Community and the Beginner's Guide to Family History for Public Library Staff on Friday 20 March. One more session of this course will be scheduled later in the year.
This is a full day session, from 9.30am to 3.30pm. Morning tea and lunch is included.
Book a workshop in your library
Collect Connect Community is available to be delivered locally on request. To book a workshop session in your library please contact Public Library Services staff.
Visit the events calendar to find details of upcoming events at the State Library as well as other events that may be of interest to NSW public library staff.
If you are participating in the ALIA PD scheme you may claim 3 points for this activity.
Please contact Public Library Services staff if you have any questions about the course.