The Legal, drug and alcohol information workshop equips staff with a knowledge of legal, drug and alcohol information resources.
This workshop focuses on the state wide Find Legal Answers and Drug Info services available through public libraries across NSW and online. The workshop builds the capacity of public library staff to answer enquiries about the law, drugs and alcohol. It focuses on why clients need to know about the law, drugs and alcohol, where to find information, and how to deliver law, drug and alcohol information programs to the community. The workshop also includes a standard drink demonstration.
Who is this course for?
This course is for staff working in NSW public libraries. Information about other courses available at the State Library of NSW can be accessed here.
The workshop will suit all levels of staff including new public library staff and those seeking to refresh their knowledge.
Three and a half hour face-to-face workshop including a short break.
Learning strategies involve a mix of lecture style, group work, guided opportunities for participants to explore the Find Legal Answers and Drug Info website and a hands-on standard drink pouring demonstration.
At the end of this workshop/course participants will be able to:
- use plain language, locally available resources to locate legal information
- assist clients to find information about drugs and alcohol
- use the Find Legal Answers website to locate legal information
- use the Drug Info website to locate information about drugs and alcohol
- refer clients to agencies that offer legal or drug and alcohol advice and assistance
- use the State Library website to find sources of assistance and information to assist public library staff to deliver services, programs and events to their communities
- access to computers or tablets to be provided by the host library
- standard drink demonstration
This workshop is free for NSW public library staff.
Host libraries are asked to provide catering for a short tea break.
The Legal, Drug and Alcohol workshop is available to be delivered locally on request. To book a workshop session in your library please contact Public Library Services staff.
Visit the events calendar to find details of upcoming events at the State Library as well as other events that may be of interest to NSW public library staff.
If you are participating in the ALIA PD scheme you may claim 3 points for this activity.
All training notes are available on request, and can be used to on-train staff in your library. To request training notes for the Legal, Drug and Alcohol Information workshop, please fill in this form.