Library renovation calculator
The renovation calculator allows you to start with an existing area and allocate service spaces within these specifications.
How to use this calculator
Follow these steps for the renovation calculator, to help you allocate spaces when you have an existing floor area.
- Enter the gross floor area of the building or land that you have available for your library building
- Add the 10 year projected population catchment of library users
- The recommended number of public access computers will be calculated based on the population. You can change this to the number of computers you will provide.
- Add in the number of spaces for BYOD and self check units. Please note that as you allocate more space to computers and other devices this area is taken away from the base collection area. You do have the option to add additional collection and reading spaces in Other functional & service areas.
- The recommended square metres are calculated for each service area based on your population. Enter the area that you plan to allocate in the blue section.
- As you move through the spreadsheet and allocate space to different services the remaining floor area will be calculated at the top of the spreadsheet and the total floor area used will be at the bottom. Modify services and areas until you have allocated all available space.
Reading, seating & study areas
- The total recommended number of seats is calculated based on your catchment population. You can change this in the Desired Seats section.
- In the blue section allocate the percentage of seating that will be desk space, lounges and group study. This must total 100%
Other functional & service areas
- Areas in this section are optional but many would be considered key services to include in a contemporary library building. You will not need to allocate space to each of the service areas. Choose the services that you will be offering in your library building.
- The recommended floor area is based on your population. Use these as a starting point to allocate space according to your community needs and planned services.
- You will notice that some areas provide a recommended floor area of 0 square metres. This is because they are not services that are offered at the majority of public libraries. Add a figure in the Desired Floor Area if this is a service you plan to provide.
- The State Library recommends that you include meeting spaces in your library. This section allows you to allocate space depending on the types of meeting spaces and training rooms and the number of people you need to accommodate in each room. Different square metres per person will be added for the different types of meeting rooms.
- In the blue section select the number of rooms and number of people per room. The recommended floor area will be calculated below. You can modify the Desired Floor Area if needed.
Allocate spaces until the uncommitted floor area at the top of the spreadsheet is 0 and the total at the bottom equals your available floor area.