Face masks mandatory until 12.01 am, Monday 17 May 2021. Please read our special conditions of entry before visiting us.
Provision must be made for staffing when planning for a new or extended library building.
Skilled and well-trained staff are key to the successful running of a library service. In addition to qualified librarians, library technicians and assistants, specialist library staff may also be required to meet the service needs identified in the planning process.
If a new library building is being planned, you should determine the required staff numbers and skills mix based on:
- comparison with similar new library projects in other communities including staffing standards set out in Living Learning Libraries
- internal layout, number of floors, workflows and function of the building
- the potential impact of new working methods such as self-check, mobile technologies, hot desks, project/meeting space and roving reference
- potential of a joint venture project to increase non-library staff within a building and thereby reduce worker isolation and increase personal safety
- degree of technology proposed in the building
- potential increase in popularity of and visitation to the new or refurbished library as well as the programs provided.