The Library is closed onsite, open online. See updates here.
The aim of the program is to provide community members with information and resources to improve their knowledge and awareness of standard drinks and the Australian Alcohol Guidelines.
Libraries can provide this information by running programs and events using the standard drinks resin kit and/or the beer goggles kit.
This page provides links and information to help you implement the Know Your Standards program in your library.
Know Your Standards tool kit
Start by reading the Know your Standards tool kit, which provides the information you need to run the program in your library including:
- what is a standard drink
- the Australian Alcohol Guidelines
- how to use the standard drinks resin kit
- material to print or order
- suggested activities
- ideas for library displays
Standard drink educational pouring and display kit
Each NSW public library service has been supplied with a standard drink educational pouring and display kit (resin kit) for use in public programs, displays and as part of the Know Your Standards program.
The kit contains:
- 7 plastic glasses demonstrating a standard drink of different alcoholic beverages, including light beer/heavy beer, spirits, cider, wine and champagne
- 7 x 425ml plastic glasses
- 1 AlcoCup
- interactive activity outline
- carry bag
- standard drinks guide card
If you require extra kits for your branch libraries please contact Drug Info at the State Library.
Know Your Limits beer goggle kit
Know Your Limits is an alcohol education kit for use in public libraries in NSW. The aim of the kit is to provide community members with information and resources to improve their knowledge and awareness of the harms and risks associated with alcohol and the dangers of impaired driving by:
- increasing clients’ knowledge of how motor skills, hand eye co-ordination and judgement are impaired by alcohol
- providing clients with engaging and interactive activities to increase sustainable learning regarding alcohol.
The Know Your Limits kit is available for loan to NSW public libraries for use in public programs, outreach activities, and library events. The kit can be used with small or large groups.
Request a loan of a Know Your Limits beer goggles kit via online form.
The Know Your Limit beer goggle kit contains:
- One pair of White Label Fatal Vision goggles: simulates a low level of impairment, an estimated BAC of less than .06. The effect of the White Label goggle will be subtle, as in the beginning stages of low impairment.
- One pair of Red Label Fatal Vision goggles: simulates a moderate to high level of impairment, an estimated BAC of .12 to .15+. Impairment is more apparent and easily recognised.
- Stress balls
- Sanitizing wipes
- Carry bag
The pack contains 2 pairs of Fatal Vision goggles, each with a different BAC level. These levels simulate the impairment associated with a level of Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC). The goggles provide the chance to experience how alcohol impairs a person's balance, vision, reaction time, and judgement.
How to use the kit
Find how to use the kit in your library in the Know your limits tool kit.
There are two mocktails promotions you can run to promote healthy drinking in your community - Literary Mocktails and the Make it a Mocktail social media campaign.
Hosting an event or activity or running a social media campaign? Please spread the word on your social media channels!
Use the following hashtags on Twitter (and Instagram/Tumblr):
Post your Know Your Standards images to the Drug Info Facebook page or email images to Drug Info for inclusion on Facebook and Pinterest.
If you run a Know your Standards event or program in your library, we'd love to hear about it. Let us know about your program via the form below.