Library reopening Monday 1 June 2020. See Frequently Asked Questions here
Online campaign for public libraries
Law Week is held every year in May to promote community awareness and understanding of the law, the legal system and the legal profession. Law Week this year is from 18 - 24 May. Usually, libraries host a wide range of events, displays and law talks during Law Week. Hosting events isn’t possible this year due to COVID-19 restrictions, but you can promote Law Week and helpful legal resources via your library website, newsletters and social media.
Recommended content for your website or newsletter
Use this content on your website or council/library newsletter during Law Week. Feel free to edit the content to highlight the resources that will be of most interest to your community.
Law Week is held every year in May to promote community awareness and understanding of the law, the legal system and the legal profession. Check out these helpful books and websites to help you learn about the law.
Legal issues during COVID-19
- Fair Work Ombudsman - Coronavirus and workplace laws (https://coronavirus.fairwork.gov.au/)
- Tenants NSW - What you need to know: renting and COVID-19 (www.tenants.org.au/blog/renting-and-covid-19-information)
- Fair Trading NSW - COVID-19 - find answers to questions like Can I get a refund for an event cancelled due to COVID-19? Can I be evicted? (www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/resource-library/publications/coronavirus-covid-19)
- Legal Aid NSW - Legal resources for COVID-19 (www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/get-legal-help/covid-19)
Books about the law
- Find plain English books about the law (https://legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/books-online)
- The Law Handbook: Your Practical Guide to the Law in NSW has 40 chapters dealing with legal topics from About the legal system to Wills, estates and funerals (https://legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/law-handbook-your-practical-guide-law-nsw)
- Neighbours and the Law is an easy to understand guide to the different areas of law that are involved in neighbourhood issues and disputes, including fences, animals and noise (https://legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/neighbours-and-law)
- Rest Assured: A Legal guide to Wills, Estates, Planning Ahead and Funerals in NSW explains wills and the legal processes when someone dies (https://legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/rest-assured-legal-guide-wills-estates-planning-ahead-and-funerals)
Watch a video
- Watch short videos about the law and finding legal information from Legal Aid NSW (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLApA5ctFL2pUcOfRwJYteqvEHkxOBSoZn)
Join a webinar
- As part of Law Week 2020, Liverpool City Library is presenting two legal Q&A’s with South West Sydney Legal Centre. Both presentations will take place on Zoom and streamed to Facebook, and are open for anyone to attend. Follow the links below for more information and registration.
- Family law and parenting arrangements, Thursday 21 May 2pm - 2:30pm (https://mylibrary.liverpool.nsw.gov.au/events/law-week-online-talks)
- Employment law during COVID-19, Friday 22 May 11 - 11.30am (https://mylibrary.liverpool.nsw.gov.au/events/law-week-online-talks2)
- Shoalhaven Libraries and the ShoalCoast Community Legal Centre will be presenting a webinar on the legal issues surrounding COVID-19, including tenancy, employment, family law, and credit and debt on 21 May at 2pm. Find it on their Facebook page on the day - facebook.com/ShoalhavenLibraries
Dive in deep
- Listen to these podcasts from Legal Aid NSW. Designed for community workers, the podcasts cover a range of legal topics. (https://legalaidnswcle.podbean.com/)
- Watch these community legal education webinars from Legal Aid NSW (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLApA5ctFL2pV-bMUR2vvHwj7O8QwyeMO_)
Suggested social media posts
A selection of social media posts have been created for you to share across your social media channels. Simply copy and paste the content and download your choice of image to share on your social media channels. The posts highlight content on the Find Legal Answers website and information from legal agencies. Post every day during Law Week.
- It’s #LawWeek! Are you dealing with a legal matter – like needing a repair in your rental property or making a will? Check out these free guides to help you navigate the law with ease: https://legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/books-online #nswpubliclibraries #legalanswersnsw
- It’s #LawWeek! Want to learn more about the law? ‘The Law handbook’ is a practical guide to the 40 most common legal topics that you deal with in your everyday life. Get it online for free: https://legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/law-handbook-your-practical-guide-law-nsw #nswpubliclibraries #legalanswersnsw
- It’s #LawWeek! Want to learn more about the law? Check out ‘Neighbours and the Law’ – an easy to understand legal guide to neighbourhood issues and disputes, including fences, animals and noise. Get it free here: https://legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/neighbours-and-law #nswpubliclibraries #legalanswersnsw
- It’s #LawWeek! Want to learn more about the law? Check out ‘Rest Assured’ – a legal guide which helps explains wills and the legal processes when someone dies in NSW. Get it free here: https://legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/rest-assured-legal-guide-wills-estates-planning-ahead-and-funerals #nswpubliclibraries #legalanswersnsw
- It’s #LawWeek! Get legal help online that’s free and easy to understand here: https://legalanswers.sl.nsw.gov.au/getting-help #nswpubliclibraries #legalanswersnsw
- Confused about the law during #COVID19? Check out these fact sheets from Legal Aid NSW: https://www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au/get-legal-help/covid-19 #LawWeek #nswpubliclibraries #legalanswersnsw
- Confused about employment law during #COVID19? Check out this information from the Fair Work Ombudsman: https://coronavirus.fairwork.gov.au #LawWeek #nswpubliclibraries #legalanswersnsw
- Need information about renting during #COVID19? Find what you need to know at: https://www.tenants.org.au/blog/renting-and-covid-19-information #LawWeek #nswpubliclibraries #legalanswersnsw
- Trying to get a refund for an event cancelled due to #COVID19? Want to know if your landlord can evict you during #COVID-19? Find answers to your consumer law questions at Fair Trading NSW: https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/resource-library/publications/coronavirus-covid-19 #LawWeek #nswpubliclibraries #legalanswersnsw
You can use any of the images on this page and in the zip file below in your posts.Law Week 2020 images
Law Week report
When Law Week is over, we'd love to hear what your library did. Whether it was a social media campaign, a feature on your website, an article in your newsletter or something completely differerent, you can let us know via the form below.