Due to essential upgrades, access to digital images will be temporarily unavailable between 10.30 am and 12 pm AEDT on Monday, 2 March 2020.
Free legal pamphlets allow clients easy access to plain language legal information which is free for them to take home
Most libraries include a pamphlet collection as part of their legal collection, to allow clients easy access to plain language legal information which is free for them to take home.
- authoritative - they come from a wide range of state and federal government departments, local councils, and legal organisations
- concise and easy to read
- can be taken home by clients, allowing confidentiality
- easily browsed without staff assistance
- often available in community languages
Guidelines for ordering pamphlets
Check the format of the pamphlet and ensure you have the correct stands to display them appropriately. The standard DL, A5 sized pamphlets, and A4 booklets are easier to display.
Make sure you are ordering from a government agency or other reputable supplier. Choose from the list below, or check with LIAC if you are unsure.
Many pamphlets are available in community languages. Don't forget to order these in languages relevant to your community.
Following are recommended suppliers of excellent legal pamphlets. Browse each supplier’s publication page to find pamphlets that suit your community. Alternatively, use the Find Legal Answers website to find pamphlets on particular legal topics. All pamphlets are available online as well as in the hard copy pamphlet, so you can see them and check they contain information useful for your community before ordering.
Legal Aid NSW
Legal Aid NSW produces a range of pamphlets on a variety of subjects. You can do a keyword search, or search using their broad subject areas: Aboriginal people; Courts, police and crime; Domestic violence; Families, relationships and children; Government and rights; Jobs and employment; Money, debt and fines; Older people; Traffic and driving; Young people. Any of the Legal Aid pamphlets would be useful in your library.
Recommended pamphlets from Legal Aid
- Drugs, driving and you
- Are you being squeezed for a debt?
- Crashed your car? Information on claims for damage to your car, in and out of court
- What happens when your relationship ends?
- Are you applying for an AVO? Information for applicants and persons in need of protection
- Going to court? Guide to the Local Court for defendants
- Legal issues for older people. An excellent series of pamphlets covering a range of topics.
- Fined out: a practical guide for people having problems with fines (82 page booklet - although this is also in the Tool Kit, you can also order multiple copies to give away)
- Get court smart (for under 18s)
- Get street smart (for under 18s)
- Ripped off? Your rights about unpaid wages and entitlements at work. An excellent 45 page booklet covering types of employment, entitlements, and dealing with problems.
- There's a better way than payday loans
Recommended easy English pamphlets
- Domestic violence - help at court
- How can Legal Aid NSW help me?
- Police powers: find out your rights in NSW.
Check the Legal Aid publications page or the Find Legal Answers website to find the most recent version of the pamphlet.
NSW Fair Trading
NSW Fair Trading publishes pamphlets on a range of consumer related topics. Publications are listed under: Property and Tenancy; Shopping and safe products; General consumer. Once you've found the pamphlet you want, click on Order copies. You will be re-directed to shop.nsw. You should set up an account with them to streamline the ordering process.
NSW Fair Trading have recently reduced the number of pamphlets available to order, so some of the ones you are used to may no longer be available.
Recommended pamphlets from NSW Fair Trading are:
- Seniors guide to consumer rights in NSW (although this is also in the Tool Kit collection, you can also order multiple copies to give away)
- Moving into a retirement village?
Check the NSW Fair Trading publications page or the Find Legal Answers website to find the most recent version of the pamphlet.
Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC)
The ACCC publishes pamphlets on consumer related topics. Click on the pamphlet you need and add the quantity you need to the shopping cart.
Recommended pamphlets from the ACCC are:
- Consumer guarantees - repair replace refund
- The little black book of scams
Check the ACCC's Top 5 publications page or the Find Legal Answers website to find the most recent version of the pamphlet.
The ACCC also has fact sheets and pamphlets about about consumer law for consumers with a disability:
- Consumers with disability: where to go for advice or complaints - helps you find the right place to go if you need advice or have a complaint.
- Your consumer rights: a guide for consumers with disability - this guide is designed to help you understand and use the rights that the law gives you as a consumer. It includes a complaint letter template and a services cancellation notice template.
- Information for consumers with disability - this factsheet provides a short summary of your consumer rights and the steps you can take to resolve problems.
- Your rights when you buy something - written in easy English and designed for people who have difficulty reading and understanding written English. It is also available in eight community languages.
Australian Human Rights Commission
The Australian Human Rights Commission's Know your rights brochures provide information about different types of discrimination. There isn't an order form - to order, you just need to send an email or ring them. You can find contact information on their Contact us page.
LawAccess NSW is a free government telephone service that provides legal information, referrals and in some cases, advice for people who have a legal problem in NSW.
LawAccess promotional material can be ordered from their publications page.