State Library's language resources
The Library hold an extensive Indigenous languages collection. The Rediscovering Indigenous Languages project aimed to make accessible some of the oldest languages in the world by locating, digitising and providing access to Indigenous word lists, language records and other cultural documents. Some items in the Library’s collections are the only known surviving records of these particular Indigenous languages and they can be vital resources in assisting Indigenous communities, linguists and teachers in language revival. Visit the project website to access the archival documentation of Indigenous languages.
Additional resources for teachers
The following list of resources is for background reading for teachers. Some of the resources will be suitable for your students too, e.g. links to video clips of children across NSW who are learning Aboriginal languages. The resources are grouped according to languages represented on the NSW State Library My Weekend with Pop – stories in Aboriginal Languages website, and the list starts with some maps and general information about keeping languages strong throughout Australia. Some of the resources in the list are books which may only be available through specialised libraries. Some are more easily accessible. Teachers do not need to read all of these books to be able to implement the Stage 2 teaching and learning activities suggested in this guide.
Maps and keeping languages strong
- ABC online. Indigenous languages map. Available: http://www.abc.net.au/indigenous/map/
- ABC Radio National. (2009). Holding Our Tongues website has information about several languages across the continent and includes some audio recordings of speakers and songs. Available http://www.abc.net.au/rn/legacy/features/holdingourtongues/
- ABC Splash. Indigenous resources page. http://splash.abc.net.au/home#!/topic/494038/aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-histories-and-cultures
- Nathan, David (Ed). (updated 2017). Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Languages of Australia virtual library. Available http://www.dnathan.com/VL/
- Museums and Galleries NSW. Aboriginal languages map of Australia. Available https://mgnsw.org.au/sector/aboriginal/aboriginal-language-map/
- ABC Open. (2016). A conversation in Bundjalung. https://open.abc.net.au/explore/139619
- ABC Open. (2016). Aboriginal language detectives. https://open.abc.net.au/explore/138717
- ABC Open. (2014). Sharing Bundjalung mother tongue. https://open.abc.net.au/explore/74602
- ABC Open. (2014). Sharing Bundjalaung language through photographs. https://open.abc.net.au/explore/74677
- Sharpe, Margaret. (2001). An introduction to the Yugambeh-Bundjalung language and its dialects. An introduction to the Yugambeh-Bundjalung language and its dialects. Revised (3rd) edition with chapters by Marjorie Oaks, Terry Crowley and Jill Fraser-Knowles. Armidale, NSW: University of New England.
- Sharpe, Margaret. (2005). Grammar and texts of the Yugambeh-Bundjalung dialect chain in Eastern Australia (Vol. 370). Munich, Germany: Lincom.
- Sharpe, Margaret. (2002). Dictionary of coastal Bundjalung including Bundjalung, Wiyabal, Minyangbal and Ngahnduwal: Unpublished manuscript.
- Sharpe, Margaret. (1995). Dictionary of Western Bundjalung, including, Gidhabal and Tabulam Bundjalung. Armidale: M. Sharpe.
Dharawal and Dhurga
- ABC Open. (2014). Let's rejoice in Dharawal. Tahlia King sings the National Anthem in Dharawal. https://open.abc.net.au/explore/77790 or https://vimeo.com/104576601
- ABC Open. (2014). Reclaiming the Dhurga language. https://open.abc.net.au/explore/94548
- Besold, Jutta. (2013). Language Recovery of the New South Wales South Coast Aboriginal Languages. (PhD), Australian National University.
- Eades, Diana. (1976). The Dharawal and Dhurga languages of the New South Wales South Coast. Canberra: Institute of Aboriginal Studies.
- NITV (National Indigenous Television). (2017). Around The Campfire, Series 3 Episode 13. Dhurga Language With Kerry Boyenga and Trish Ellis. Available http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/video/554997315553/Around-The-Campfire-S3-Ep13-Dhurga-Language-With-K
Gamilaraay and Yuwaalaraay
- ABC Open. (2015). Near or far, a poem by A Gamilaraay woman, Suellyn Tighe, for her grandchildren. You can view it in English https://open.abc.net.au/explore/93771 and in Gamilaraay https://vimeo.com/126769095
- ABC Open. (2015). Give me five in Gamilaraay. https://open.abc.net.au/explore/112156
- ABC Open. (2015). Count to ten in Gomeroi. https://open.abc.net.au/explore/92371
- ABC Open. (2015). Master of ceremonies, Len Waters. https://open.abc.net.au/explore/108145
- ABC Splash. (2015). Yaama Ghubhii: Indigenous Connect Song. http://splash.abc.net.au/home#!/media/2394462/yaama-ghubhii-indigenous-connect-song
- ABC Open and First Languages Australia. Language legends series: Kate Munro. https://gambay.com.au/profiles/89
- Chandler, Karen, & Giacon, John. (2006). Dhiirrala Gamilaraay! Teach Gamilaraay: A resource book for teachers of Gamilaraay. Armidale, NSW: Yuwaalaraay Language Program.
- Giacon, John. (2002). Gamilaraay, Yuwaalaraay, guwaaldanha ngiyani: We are speaking Gamilaraay and Yuwaalaraay. Tamworth, NSW: Coolabah Publishing.
- Giacon, John. (2003). Yugal: Gamilaraay & Yuwaalaraay songs. Tamworth, NSW: Coolabah Publishing.
- Giacon, John. (2006). Gaay garay dhadhin: Gamilaraay & Yuwaalaraay picture dictionary. Alice Springs, NT: Institute for Aboriginal Development Press.
- Giacon, John & Betts, Marianne. (1999). Yaama maliyaa. An Aboriginal languages textbook. Walgett, NSW: Walgett High School, Yuwaalaraay Gamilaraay Program.
- Giacon, John, & Nathan, David. (2009). Gayarragi winangali (find and hear): An interactive multimedia resource for Gamilaraay and Yuwaalaraay [CD-ROM]: Catholic Schools Office, Armidale, NSW & The Hans Rausing Endangered Languages Project. Available https://www.dnathan.com/projects/gw/
- Ma Gamilaraay. (2015). Gamilaraay dictionary app. Available https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/ma-gamilaraay/id935546616?mt=8
- Yuwaalaraay gaay Gamilaraay garay website http://yuwaalaraay.org/
- ABC Coffs Coast. (2013). Gumbaynggirr in song. Gary Williams and Dallas Walker singing the song Baabaga Birruganba Bularri http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/11/27/3899985.htm
- ABC Coffs Coast. (2011). Gumbaynggirr language, with Fiona Poole and Gary Williams. http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2010/07/02/2943206.htm
- ABC Open. (2015). Plus 20: Gumbaynggirr Language Teacher Michael Jarrett https://open.abc.net.au/explore/112354
- ABC Open and First Languages Australia. Language legends series: Michael Jarrett. https://gambay.com.au/profiles/92
- ABC Open and First Languages Australia. Language legends series: Virginia Jarrett. https://gambay.com.au/profiles/93
- Long, Julie. (2007). Barriyala: Let’s Work – Gumbaynggirr language student workbook 1, 2, 3. Nambucca Heads, NSW: Muurrbay Aboriginal Language and Culture Co-operative.
- Mayalambala teaching resource http://www.muurrbay.org.au/muurrbay-resources/courses/
- Morelli, Steve. (2015). Gumbaynggir dictionary and learner's grammar. Bijaarr jandaygam, ngawa gugaarrigam. Nambucca Heads, NSW: Muurrbay Aboriginal Language and Culture Co-operative.
- Muurrbay Aboriginal language and culture co-operative http://www.muurrbay.org.au/.
- NITV (National Indigenous Television). (2015). Indigenous rangers revitalise language and culture. http://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-news/article/2015/09/23/indigenous-rangers-revitalise-language-and-culture
- Senator Aden Ridgeway’s speech in parliament in 2009 in Gumbaynggirr language http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/language-is-power-let-us-have-ours-20091125-jrsb.html
- SBS TV, Custodians program, Season 1, Episode 14, Nambucca Heads, Gumbaynggirr Country (5mins 54 secs) http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/353160771753/custodians-gumbaynggirr-nambucca-heads
- Butcher Murray, Kayleen Kirwin, Robert Lindsay, Wilcannia Central School and Board of Studies NSW. (2009). Paakantyi teaching and learning samples. Available https://ab-ed.bostes.nsw.edu.au/go/aboriginal-languages/learning/lower-darling/teaching-learning
- Butcher, Murray & Wilcannia Central School. (2011). Kilampa wura Kaani. Galah and bearded dragon. A Paakantyi story. Available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbc_b2S_3ws and https://wn.com/kilampa_wura_kaani__a_paakantyi_story
- Butcher, Murray, Wilcannia Community, and Sharing Stories. (2017). The moon and the gecko. Available http://www.pearsonplaces.com.au/Places/Primary_Places/Indigenous_Place.aspx
- Butcher, Murray and Faith Baisden. (2012). Picture books in Paakantyi and English. Available http://www.binabar.com/paakantyi-and-english-books-launched-in-wilcannia-and-menindee/
- Kirwin, Kayleen. (2012). Nhiki manhu. Making Johnny Cakes in Paakantyi. Available https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wvIzQPZiGE
- Kirwin, Kayleen. (2013). Teaching Paakantyi at Meninindee Cenral School. Availbale https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDvcvVZswCQ
- Paul, Margaret & ABC radio. (2013). Learning Paakantyi with Isobel Bennett. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NwpXm_T0gY
- Hercus, Luise. (1982). The Bāgandji language. Pacific Linguistics Series B, No. 67. Canberra: Research School of Pacific Studies, Australian National University.
- Hercus, Luise. (1993). Paakantyi dictionary. Canberra: Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies.
- Hercus, Luise. (1999). Paakantyi. In W. McGregor & N. Thieberger (Eds.), Macquarie Aboriginal words: a dictionary of words from Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages (pp. 41-60). North Ryde, NSW: Macquarie Library.
- Hercus, Luise, & Nathan, David. (2002). Paakantyi [CD-ROM of texts, stories, songs, grammar, dictionary, games]. Canberra, ACT: Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies & Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Commission.
- ABC Open. (2012). Our Mother Tongue: Wiradjuri. https://open.abc.net.au/explore/22207
- ABC Open and First Languages Australia. Language legends series: Geoff Anderson. https://gambay.com.au/profiles/21
- ABC Open and First Languages Australia. Language legends series: Lionel Lovett. https://gambay.com.au/profiles/24
- ABC Open and First Languages Australia. Language legends series: Diane McNaboe. https://languagesmap.com/profiles/120
- Anderson, Geoff; Lovett, Lionel; Towney, Tiyana; and the Parkes Wiradjuri Language group. I am my Elders' blood. Song arrangement and mixing: Sunfield Records. (2015). https://soundcloud.com/ub-ubbo-exchange/i-am-my-elders-blood
- Bundyi cultural tours, cultural awareness and school programs in Wiradjuri country http://www.bundyiculture.com.au/
- Grant, Stan, & Rudder, John. (2001). Learning Wiradjuri book 1 (place and direction) & book 2 (about actions) [with audio CD]. Canberra: Restoration House.
- Grant, Stan, & Rudder, John. (2001). Wiradjuri language – how it works. Canberra: Restoration House.
- Grant, Stan, & Rudder, John. (2001). Wiradjuri language song book 1 & book 2 [with audio CD]. Canberra: Restoration House.
- Grant, Stan, & Rudder, John. (2001). Introducing Wiradjuri sentences. Canberra: Restoration House.
- Grant, Stan, & Rudder, John. (2001). Wiradjuri language colouring-in book 2. Canberra: Restoration House.
- Grant, Stan, & Rudder, John. (2005). Wiradjuri dictionary (2nd ed.). Canberra: Restoration House.
- McNicol, S., & Hosking, D. (1999). Wiradjuri. In W. McGregor & N. Thieberger (Eds.), Macquarie Aboriginal words: a dictionary of words from Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander languages (pp. 79-99). North Ryde, NSW: Macquarie Library.
- Wiradjuri Condobolin Corporation. (2016). Wiradjuri dictionary app. Available http://www.wiradjuricondocorp.com/
- Wiradjuri songs and animations: