The Library is open. See frequently asked questions.
As Sydney city became more densely populated in the 1830s, settlers moved further out to the eastern harbour suburbs of Rushcutters Bay, Darling Point and Double Bay. At that time the land was heavily timbered, but after New South Head Road was built in 1831, the area was cleared and subdivided, opening it for settlement. Most of the land in Darling Point was taken up by private individuals between 1833 and 1838.