Due to essential network maintenance, access to some online services including the viewing of digital images will be temporarily unavailable between 5 pm and 8 pm AEST on Sunday, 22 September 2019. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
The Library’s Visiting Scholar program is a competitive and prestigious initiative aimed to support and foster writing, research and study. The program provides a room and behind-the-scenes access to Library staff. Research topics have ranged from early colonisation of Australia through to investigations of contemporary life.
The principal purpose of the Visiting Scholar program is to faciliate and support the use of the Library's unique collections for a sustained period of study and research. Project proposals must focus on original materials and identify a clear outcome.
It is expected that Visiting Scholars will:
- Be researchers who are able to demonstrate a record of scholarship, such as publications or other research outcomes.
- Present a project that directly draws on the unique collections of the State Library of New South Wales.
- Present a project that has a specific time frame and outcome.
- Have support from an industry employer or research supervisor, emphasising the value of a Visiting Scholarship to the applicant.
- Submit to the Mitchell Librarian a brief summary of their completed project, copies of any research outcomes (presentations and publications) and a bibliography.
- Visiting Scholars may be invited to contribute to Library publications or the Library’s series of Scholar Talks.
- The Library is unable to offer any funding to Visiting Scholars. A successful Visiting Scholar is not precluded from applying for a paid Fellowship at the conclusion of their project.
Applications are subject to the approval of the Visiting Scholars committee, staff resources as well as capacity in the Donald & Myfanwy Horne Room.
Applications are accepted at any time of the year, with commencement dates in February and July. For an application form, register your interest by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org