The preceding discussions have been about wills and estates, matters which are relevant after your death. This section discusses steps you can take to plan for the future while you are alive, particularly if you lose the capacity to make decisions yourself.
Planning ahead resources
Speaking for myself: planning for later life decision-making (2011) is a free step-by-step publication to help older people plan for later life. Jointly published by the Bevolent Society and Legal Aid NSW it is available in your local library in the Find Legal Answers tool kit. Visit your local library or read online.
This section covers:
- Appointing power of attorney
- Ending a power of attorney
- Requirements for appointing a guardian
- Revoking and resigning appointments
- Living wills
- Requirements for organ donation
- Legal status of euthanasia
- Passive and active euthanasia
- The Funeral Funds Act