Legal information for Aboriginal people

Find out where you can go to get free legal advice, assistance and information specially designed for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.

Free legal advice and assistance

Aboriginal Legal Service

The Aboriginal Legal Service (ALS) is an Aboriginal community organisation giving information, referral, legal advice, and court representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children across NSW and the ACT. 

ALS works in criminal law, children’s care and protection law and family law.  They also run the Custody Notification Service, a 24-hour legal advice and RU OK phone line for Aboriginal people taken into police custody. 

If you need a lawyer, please contact the ALS on one of these toll free numbers:

  • for police charges and court matters call 1800 765 767
  • for care and protection and family matters 1800 733 233.

Legal Aid NSW

Legal Aid NSW provides legal information to anyone with a legal problem in NSW through their legal information and referral service, LawAccess NSW. You can contact LawAccess by using their chat service or by calling 1300 888 529. They are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Find out where to get help on the My rights as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander page. 

The Civil Law Service for Aboriginal Communities provides confidential legal help to Aboriginal clients living in regional and remote areas of NSW and Aboriginal women in custody. 

The Family Law Service for Aboriginal Communities (FamAC) is an Aboriginal led service dedicated to assisting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families and children in family law and care and protection matters.

Anti-Discrimination NSW 

Anti-Discrimination NSW has an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Service. They provide culturally appropriate services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities across NSW, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff can assist you if you have experienced discrimination. 

About your money

Revenue NSW

The First Nations Team helps Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People manage their fines. Call the First Nations line on 1800 002 345 Monday to Friday from 8.30am- 5.00pm. Your call will be free and confidential.


ASIC's MoneySmart website has information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, including videos and Indigenous money tips.

Mob Strong Debt Help

The Mob Strong Debt Help service is part of the Financial Rights Legal Centre. They provide free telephone legal advice about credit, debt, banking and insurance. Call them on 1800 808 488.


Centrelink provides payments and support to help Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.

About your rent

Tenants' Union of NSW

For information about your rights as an Aboriginal tenant, you can call your local Aboriginal Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service

On the Aboriginal renters page you will find news, resources and fact sheets covering topics including the rental bond, when you start renting, repairs, avoiding problems when renting, if your landlord wants to end your agreement, and the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal (NCAT).

About your work

Fair Work Ombudsman 

Find information for Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander peoples about starting a new job, your rights and entitlements, taking time off for Sorry Business, sorting out problems at work, and ending work.

About planning ahead

NSW Trustee and Guardian

Find information about writing a culturally appropriate will from NSW Trustee and Guardian:

Legal Aid NSW