Architectural plan of the interior and exterior of the southern elevation to the Mitchell Building, Public Library of New South Wales, 1935

About this item: 

Today’s Mitchell Library Reading Room was completed in 1942, with a pair of brass doors at its southern end mirroring the brass doors of the Library’s grand portico. No longer used, the doors are decorated with printers’ marks from early book printers, including Aldus Manutius, Jan Veldener and Jean Petit. Also shown in this plan is the stained-glass window dedicated to William Caxton, who is thought to have introduced the printing press to England. 

ON DISPLAY UNTIL 2019