State Library of NSW
About this item:
The Prince Edward Theatre, in Castlereagh Street, between Martin Place and King Street, was built in 1924. One of the first lavish picture palaces, it lasted 40 years and was regarded as 'The Theatre Beautiful'. The entrance from Castlereagh Street led to a richly decorated marble corridor lined with alabaster urns full of fresh flowers. At the end, stairs rose to the auditorium, where 1500 patrons could be seated. The building was demolished without ceremony over several years in the 1960s to be replaced by BNP Paribas Center.