State Library of NSW
About this item:
The Sydney Municipal Markets, built between 1909 and 1914, contained vegetables and fruit markets, a fish market, poultry market and cold storage, providing the city with all its wholesale fresh produce. The Markets were thought to be too clean when they first opened, but clearly two decades of use changed that. This view, looking south along Hay Street towards Pyrmont Power station, show the congestion of vehicles that was to force transfer of the farm produce markets to Flemington in 1975.