State Library of NSW
About this item:
Houses, offices and St Stephen's Church (just visible to the left) were demolished to create Martin Place. The widening had begun in 1892, but the final section from Castlereagh Street to Macquarie Street was not completed until 1935. Historic Burdekin House, regarded as the grandest town house in Sydney, was demolished in 1933 to enable the relocation of the new St Stephen's Church from Phillip Street to Macquarie Street, Martin Place did not become a pedestrian plaza until 1969.