State Library of NSW
This view of Millers Point — approximately what is now Barangaroo Reserve — was probably painted from Balmain East in the 1830s or early 1840s. Millers Point takes its name from windmill owner, John Leighton, who was known as Jack the Miller.
Comparatively sparsely populated until the Argyle Cut opened up access to the city in 1846, Millers Point was a mixture of the grand residences of wealthy merchants and the smaller cottages of workers employed by local maritime industry.
The house with a prominent verandah, in the middle of the painting, is probably Spencer Lodge, which was occupied by wealthy merchants. At the water’s edge are the various warehouses of local merchants.
Out of copyright: Artist died before 1955
Please acknowledge: Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales