State Library of NSW
About this item:
The 1920s saw a dramatic increase in the number of cars on city streets and police on point duty were employed to reduce congestion cause by the mass of slow moving vehicles. Although Sydney's first traffic control lights had been installed at the intersection of Kent and Market Streets in 1933, experienced traffic policeman continued to provide the regulation of traffic flow - rain, hail or shine. As late as 1962, there were 205 police controlling traffic at the busiest intersections in Sydney and Newcastle.