Wish to donate an item to the Library? Here's what the Library looks for.
The Library considers offers of materials for the collection. The materials may be
- newspapers or magazines
- archives of an organisation
- pictures (watercolours, prints, drawings, framed works)
- maps and plans
- posters, postcards, pamphlets or ephemera
- digital publications including websites, or blogs.
Upon receiving the offers, the Library will assess each offer to determine if the material is suitable for the collection.
The Library does not, generally, accept material where we already have copies in the collection. Please check the Catalogue (for published materials) and the Manuscripts & Pictures catalogue (for original or unpublished materials) prior to offering material.
The Library will, in general, accept material that meets one of the following criteria and is not already held:
- is published or created in New South Wales
- is about New South Wales
- is created by a New South Wales resident or person with connection to New South Wales
- is associated with an individual who is significant in NSW history
- about Antarctica
- about the 18th and 19th century south-west Pacific region
- is exceptional
The Library does not generally accept the following:
- duplicates of materials already held in the collection
- textbooks and technical material not originating in New South Wales
- theses and dissertations
- self-published material not originating in New South Wales
- non-Australian fiction
- objects (flags, clothing, cloth, jewellery, instruments etc)
- copies of original materials (manuscripts, pictures) or publications
- government records
- materials that are still required for ongoing use (for example, current business archives)
- material that is more suitably placed with another collecting institution
Find out further information about what the Library collects.
For offers of material, or to enquire regarding the status of an offer, please contact the Library through the Online Donations Enquiry Form. Please provide as much information as possible.
For offers of published material for donation, you may print, sign the Collection Donations Declaration (170KB) and deliver the material in-person or send to:
Collection Strategy and Development, Donations
State Library of New South Wales
Sydney NSW 2000
Material that is accepted for the collection will appear in the Library's catalogues. Please note that we do not respond to offers of published material and may transfer or discard published material that is not required.