Donating items to the collection
Donations of published and original material to the Mitchell Library help strengthen our historical and research collections. If you wish to offer material or have an enquiry about donations please contact us through our online donations enquiry form.
To be considered for the Mitchell Library collection, material must meet one of the following criteria:
- originates in New South Wales
- about New South Wales
- authored by the citizens of New South Wales
- of significance about Australia
- associated with an individual who is significant in NSW history
- about Antarctica
- about the 18th and 19th century south-west Pacific region
- adds to a Mitchell Library collection strength.
offers of donation
If you wish to offer published material for donation, please print and sign the Collection Donations Declaration (60KB PDF) and include it with the material.
Materials accompanied with the above form can be given in-person or sent to:
Collection Services, Donations
State Library of New South Wales
Material that is accepted for the collection will appear in the Catalogue.
Further enquiries, including offers of rare or exceptional published material, can be made using our online donations enquiry form.
We are pleased to accept
- magazines and newspapers
- postcards and other published ephemera
We don’t accept (unless published in NSW)
- textbooks and technical material
- CD-Rom, DVD and other handheld formats
- theses and dissertations
- self-published material
- non-Australian fiction
Material not required for the collection may be discarded or passed on to another library. The Library does not acknowledge all donations although your generosity is greatly appreciated.
If you wish to offer pictures, photographs, maps and manuscripts for donation please contact us through our online donations enquiry form.
Items that are accepted for the collection will be recorded in the Manuscripts, oral history & pictures catalogue.
we are pleased to accept
- pictures including watercolours, prints, drawings, framed works and architectural plans
We don’t accept
- architectural models
- architectural plans and drawings for alterations and additions
- photographs in some formats. Please contact us regarding formats we don't collect through our online donations enquiry form
Thank you for considering the collections of the State Library of New South Wales.