Drug and alcohol information for Aboriginal people

Information about drugs and alcohol, support and treatment for the Aboriginal community. 

Alcohol and other drug information

Visit the Your Room website for information to support Aboriginal people in NSW in reducing the harms caused by alcohol and drugs and to help live healthier lives.

What is a drug? There are many definitions out there of what a drug is, simply drugs are substances that change a person’s physical or mental state. Go to Your Room for more information.

Useful links

Healthy Spirit Healthy Community

This booklet has been developed for community members. You can find information on:

  • a range of drugs including: ice, alcohol, tobacco, hallucinogens and cannabis
  • drug effects, mixing drugs, drugs and pregnancy
  • drugs and the law
  • reducing the harm of drugs
  • where to go for help.

Read and download Healthy Spirit Healthy Community online.

Information for parents and carers

Find information to help Aboriginal parents and carers raise children with healthy attitudes towards using alcohol and other drugs.

Pregnancy and breastfeeding

Find information on how alcohol and other drugs can effect the health of unborn and breastfeeding babies.

Stay strong and healthy

This campaign for Aboriginal women and their partners and family, aims to raise awareness about drug and alcohol and mental health issues during or following pregnancy and the importance of staying healthy and avoiding alcohol and other drugs at this time.

Read the Stay strong and healthy FASD story book on Your Room. This campaign also includes four videos with messages from Aboriginal health workers, mothers, fathers and young people about the risk of drinking alcohol during pregnancy and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD):

For community, health and AOD workers

There are a range of resources and services available to support AOD workers working with Aboriginal communities.

You can also download and order Aboriginal specific resources from the Your Room website.

Getting help

Drug and alcohol related emergency

If you can’t wake someone up or you are concerned that they may have sustained a head injury from a drug or alcohol related fall – call an ambulance immediately – dial Triple Zero (000).

If the person has been mixing drugs with alcohol or other drugs, tell the NSW Ambulance paramedic exactly what they have taken.

Paramedics are there to help. Generally paramedics don’t involve the police unless there is danger to themselves or other people/children, someone dies, or a crime (such as violence or theft) has been committed.

Support and treatment

If drugs or alcohol are negatively impacting on your health, family, relationships, work, school or other social situations, you may need to seek help. Support services are available for you, your family and friends.

  • The Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council provides links to Aboriginal community controlled health services across NSW. Go to their website for information about AHMRC members including a regional map, information and links to members websites.
  • The Your Room website also has Aboriginal specific information about drug and alcohol support and treatment, including detox, counselling and treatment programs.
  • Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS) NSW operates 24 hours, 7 days a week to provide education, information, crisis counselling and support. Visit the Your Room website or call 1800 250 015.