State Library of NSW
Nos 569-700 George Street; (Anthony Horderns & Sons)1924-5Anthony Hordern's Palace Emporium was built in 1904, after a fire destroyed the original Haymarket store. The new building had frontages in George, Pitt and Goulburn Streets. Advertised as the largest emporium south of the Equator, those tore employed 4000 staff. The building was remodelled in 1933. It was demolished in the early 1980s, but the site lay dormant for twenty years. It is now the World Square complex, which contains the 84 storey World Tower.