The Library's reading rooms are open. Before you visit, please read Visiting the Library.
Task no. 1
Why was the Shoalhaven River area settled by colonists? How has the natural environment influenced the settlement?
View Sources 6 to 13 and discuss the questions below. Brainstorm interconnections between the natural environment of the area (particularly landform and climate) and the reasons for settlement.
Complete Table 1 in the download resource.
Observe and discuss
- What natural and human features can you see in the images?
- What landforms are in the images?
- What human activities are in the images?
- Floodplains near the river have fertile soils. What activity utilises the floodplain?
Infer and discuss
- View Sources 6 and 7. How would the mountains and hills influence the choice of land to be cleared for farming?
- What do you think the boat in Source 10 could be used for? What other functions could the river provide for the colonists? Why would settlement occur near the river?
- What natural features (landforms and climate) influenced and supported the settlement of the area? How?