Home
Collection Item

View from the window 1842

By Conrad Martens

This view of Sydney Cove taken from Cumberland and Fort streets on the Rocks, facing east, clearly shows the lack of development on the eastern shore in the 1840s. Macquarie Fort is situated on Bennelong Point, the current site of the Opera House and the partially completed new Government House shines like a beacon on the top of the rise.

This painting was one of six artworks acquired from Conrad Martens by Governor Gipps and is a rare interior view of Sydney Cove. Most of Martens’ works are distant landscapes. Details, like the washing hanging out to dry, may have been added to make the work more interesting rather than being from direct observation.

To find out how you may reuse this content, please check the copyright status in the catalogue record.

Collection Item Type:
Oil on canvas
Call Number:
DG 41
Published date:
1842
On display:
Exhibition Galleries
Sponsorship:

Sponsored by Gai McGrath and Allan Florance

Copyright Information:

Out of copyright: Creator died before 1955

Please acknowledge: Dixson Galleries, State Library of New South Wales

Display Location:
Exhibition Galleries
Historical Dates
Started Saturday, 1 January 1842
Finished Saturday, 31 December 1842
Started Saturday, 1 January 1842
Finished Saturday, 31 December 1842