State Library of NSW
Howells’ Mill Parramatta1849
Howells’ Mill was a combined wind and water mill built in 1828 on the southern bank of the Parramatta River by ex-convict George Howell and his son George Jr. Standing 100 feet (30 metres) high and featuring six separate floors, it was the largest mill in the area.
Howell constructed a dam across the river to supply his mill with a steady flow of water — an act which became a source of conflict with his neighbour John Raine. After Howell’s death, the mill fell into disrepair and was abandoned in 1868.
Born in the year the mill was built, amateur artist George Wickham produced this painting at 21 years of age.