Marshalling Yards, White Bay1952
Marshalling Yards depicts a significant industrial site in Sydney, when White Bay was a major centre for heavy industry. In the foreground are the Rozelle marshalling yards; used to shunt trains onto separate tracks. The White Bay power station is visible in the background. Built by the NSW Railway Commissioners in 1912, the massive structure came into service in 1913. It operated for some 70 years generating power for the metropolitan railway network, and also for the Glebe Island and Pyrmont swing bridges and various pumping stations. The vast building has been unoccupied and neglected since about 1983.
Lawrence, a Sydney artist was a well-regarded Impressionist painter who was recognised with several art prizes in the 1940s and 1950s. This work was a finalist in the Wynne prize for 1952.