State Library of NSW
Redesigned department storec 1954
In 1954, Sydney retailer Grace Bros. Pty Ltd (now Myer) contracted architects Morrow & Gordon to update its second oldest suburban department store, opened at Bondi Junction in 1934. This architectural perspective drawing was commissioned to show how the finished building would appear when looking from above. With an estimated cost of £500,000, the futuristic modernist design included a glass curtain wall along the Oxford Street frontage and a rooftop car park for 120 cars. Reopening in 1957, Grace Bros. Bondi Junction was one of the first department stores in Australia designed around customer car parking.