Residence of the Hon ED Thomson, Sydney, NSW1845

by George Edwards Peacock

Barham, designed by leading Sydney architect John Verge, was built in Darlinghurst in 1833, for prominent public servant Sir Edward Deas Thomson. Deas Thomson had arrived in Sydney in 1829 to take up the post of Clerk of the Executive and Legislative Councils of New South Wales.

The building remains largely intact as part of the girls’ school SCEGGS Darlinghurst, and stands opposite the Harry Seidler-designed Horizon building.