The Library is open over the October long weekend, with reduced hours on Monday 2 October 2023. View the long weekend opening hours here.
Task no. 1
Henry Lawson's Poems
- Choose a poem from a selection provided by your teacher.
- Idependently write a summary of what the poem is about.
- Highlight unknown words (look these up in a dictionary), distinctly Australian words and rhyming words. Add these words to the word wall.
- Practice reading the poem out loud.
- In groups of three students share what your poem is about and recite it.
Task no. 2
Writing a poem
Henry Lawson got inspiration for his writing from the Australian landscape and people. You will be writing a poem using a painting from the State Library as a collection as inspiration.
- Your poem should be 3 stanzas long with 4 lines in each stanza and should use features of Henry Lawson's poems, such as rhyming patterns and distinctly Australian words.
- You can use the word wall for inspiration.
- View the below paintings from the State Library collection.
- Choose one painting to use for inspiration for your poem.
- Your teacher can show you how to look these paintings up using the State Library catalogue.
- Publish your poems and recite them to the class.