Public holiday: the Library will be open on 3 October. View opening hours
Task no. 1
How did people travel in the past?
a. Formulate questions for inquiry
- How did people from the past get to different places?
- How do we access different places today? (modes of transport and transport infrastructure)
- How has technology changed our ability to connect with places?
b. As a class collectively observe Sources 3 to 10 and discuss how people accessed places in the past.
c. Interview your grandparents or people from two generations ago on how they were able to access different places.
- Ask questions about their experiences travelling to visit family and friends and where they went on holiday and what transport they used.
- How did they keep in touch with friends and family who lived a long way away?
d. Looking at each image carefully, answer the following questions:
- What mode of transport is being used?
- What infrastructure (built feature) is needed for this mode of transport to operate?
- What challenges would you encounter using this type of transport?
- Would you travel short or long distances in this type of transport?
- Is this type of transport used today? How is it the same or different?