Francis Greenway (1777- 1837) produced some of the finest colonial buildings in Australia while under Governor Macquarie's patronage and protection. Some of the existing buildings are St. James Church and Supreme Court in Sydney City and St Matthew's Church, Windsor.
Greenway was born in Gloucestershire, England. He had a promising career as an architect in the Bristol area until the firm went bankrupt. In March 1812, Greenway was found guilty of the capital charge of forgery. His sentence was commuted to transportation for 14 years to the colony of New South Wales. Greenway spent some time in Bristol’s Newgate prison before finally being transported on board the General Hewitt, arriving in Sydney in February 1814.
On arrival in Sydney, Greenway brought with him letters of recommendation and his portfolio which he sent to Governor Macquarie. He was granted a ticket-of-leave (parole) which enabled him to seek work to support his wife and children who arrived in July 1814. In December he advertised his architectural services in the Sydney Gazette.