There are currently intermittent issues with the display of images on the old catalogue and Library website. We are working to resolve the issue and apologise for any inconvenience. Please search the new catalogue.
Openbook is a lavish, award-winning magazine of new writing, fresh ideas and contemporary photography.
The bumper autumn issue includes an intimate view of late artist Peter Kingston's home and studio, a profile of Sophie Cunningham, new writing by Mirandi Riwoe and Shannon Burns reflects on the library that made him. It revisits Patrick White's Nobel Prize win 50 years later, travels the globe with writer Mark Dapin on a tour of the world’s most beautiful libraries, and much more.
So, if you love books and libraries become an Openbook person today.
Thanks to our friends at NewSouth Publishing, the first 25 new subscribers will receive a copy of The Best Australian Science Writing 2022.
Win a double pass to the Newcastle Writers Festival (1 & 2 April)
We are thrilled to be hosting an Openbook sponsored session at the Newcastle Writers Festival this year.
To celebrate, we’re giving away 2 x double passes to this fantastic regional event featuring more than 140 writers, experts and storytellers.
On Saturday 1 April at 11.30 am, Openbook editor Phillipa McGuinness will be in conversation with The Writer Laid Bare author Lee Kofman.
To be in the running to win, simply subscribe to Openbook by 12 noon, Friday 24 March 2023. If you’re a current subscriber or Friend, you will automatically go into the draw for the prize.
Terms and conditions
- All those who subscribe to Openbook or are a Friend of the Library as of 12 noon, Friday 24 March 2023, will be automatically entered into the prize draw.
- Recipients of gift subscriptions will be eligible for the draw. The prize will be drawn at 4 pm on 24 March and the winner notified by phone or email. If the winner is unable to accept the prize, a second winner will be drawn and so forth.
- Travel to Newcastle Writers Festival will be at the prize winner’s expense.
- There are two prizes. Each prize is for two people. Additional festival tickets can be purchased here.
- Passes can be used for events before 5 pm on the festival weekend, 1 and 2 April 2023.
- State Library staff are not eligible to enter.
Subscribe/ Give as a gift
Your subscription will commence with the current issue.
12 months / 4 issues $50* (free postage Australia-wide).
*Please contact us if you are subscribing from overseas.
Become a Friend of the Library
Library Friends receive Openbook as part of their member benefits.
Letters & submissions
Please email letters or article proposals to the editor: firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Openbook editor, State Library of NSW, 1 Shakespeare Place, Sydney 2000. No responsibility can be accepted for unsolicited manuscripts, artwork or photographs.
We value reader suggestions and feedback. Please email your comments to email@example.com
Highlights from Openbook Spring 2022