Openbook is for people who love to read.
Openbook is the Library's quarterly magazine. It was previously known as SL magazine, before we gave it a makeover.
Inside each issue you'll find stories that are inspiring, thought-provoking and surprising. We're working with established and emerging writers with diverse perspectives on literature, art, photography, history, science, architecture, popular culture and topical issues. Our library insiders will take you behind the scenes to reveal weird and wonderful finds from the collection.
Expect a mix of feature articles, news, commentary, photo-essays, interviews, fiction, poetry, reviews, recipes, trivia and even DIY projects.
So, if you love books and libraries and are curious about the world inside and outside of them - subscribe today.
Win an evening in the State Library’s stunning Shakespeare Room for your book club.
With its Tudor-style architecture and beautiful stained-glass windows, the Shakespeare Room is the perfect setting to discuss your favourite books with five friends.
The prize includes drinks and nibbles, as well as a private viewing of Shakespeare’s First Folio from 1623.
To be in the running to win, simply subscribe to Openbook magazine or become a Friend of the Library by 13 August 2021.
- All those who subscribe to Openbook or become a Friend of the Library between 1 June and 13 August 2021 will be automatically entered into the prize draw.
- Recipients of gift subscriptions and Friends memberships will be eligible for the draw, NOT the purchasers.
- The prize will be drawn on 16 August 2021 and the winner notified by email. If the winner is unable to accept the prize, a second winner will be drawn and so forth.
- Travel to the State Library will be at the prize winner’s expense.
- The night in the Shakespeare Room must be held on a weekday between 6 pm and 9 pm before 16 August 2022 subject to availability.
- A maximum 6 people may be included in the prize.
- Current Friends and Library staff are not eligible to enter.
Subscribe/ Give as a gift
Your subscription will commence with the current issue.
12 months / 4 issues $40 (includes postage).
Become a Friend of the Library
Library Friends receive Openbook as part of their member benefits.
Letters & submissions
Please email letters or article proposals to the editor: [email protected] or post to Openbook editor, State Library of NSW, 1 Shakespeare Place, Sydney 2000. No responsibility can be accepted for unsolicited manuscripts, artwork or photographs.
We value reader suggestions and feedback. Please email your comments to [email protected]